Sunday, August 13, 2017

Pushing through August

August - a lot of heat and humidity but one must press on regardless. So, here are some pictures from some of my August adventures so far.

A trip to Kamakura is always good for a bit of fun and photography.

Everyone takes this kind of picture at a shrine; so do I!

The water lilies are blooming. I forgot how big they are.

The pond in Kamakura is packed with them.


The leaf is as big as an umbrella.

The photographers are out today!



Time for a selfie.

No sunshine today but one can never let down their guard; UV rays are everywhere! 

A proper gentleman out for a walk.

On my way home from Kamakura I sat across from these charming ladies that were have a terrific time talking with each other.

Another day, another place to go. This time I visited the Hikawamaru moored at Yamashita park.
This ship was built in 1930 for transiting between Japan and Seattle. I love the art deco interior.

The first-class smoking room.

The ship's bell just outside the pilot house.

The radio shack.


Inside the pilot house.

Can't go to sea without a compass.

Full steam ahead! The security guard is keeping an eye on me; probably worried I might get the ship underway.

The view of Yokohama from behind the pilot house. No blue sky today.

No need to go down with the ship, we have life boats!

Scenes from the engine room.


The engine order telegraph.

The engine room's sound proof phone booth.

This is where the poor passengers sleep.

Back on dry land I look back at the mighty Hikawamaru.

The harbor clean up crew hard at work keeping the waterfront spic & span.

Yet another day's adventure. Welcome (back) to the Yokohama Doll Museum.

If one has a free day in Yokohama I highly recommend the Doll Museum. Photography is allowed if no flash is used.

My favorite piece in the museum.


All the dolls are behind glass and sometimes a bit of reflection shows up in the picture.

The European dolls look a little scary to me.

She has some serious eyebrows.

Whoa! this doll should give your kids nightmares.

Walked past some colorful flowers on my way back to the train station.

Last shot of the day: A little fun along the Ookagawa river.

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike


2 comments:

  1. good pics...interesting to see sale signs etc in english...is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wickets!
      Here in Japan it's fashionable to have signs and advertisments in English.

      All the best!
      Mike

      Delete