Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Exploring Kanazawa-Hakkei and surrounding area

I ride the Keikyu train line almost everyday. The train always stops at the Kanazawa-Hakkei station and on this day, I, being without a place to be or a person to meet decided to get off the train and see what there was to see.

All images were taken with a Zeiss Biogon T* 28mm f2.8 ZM lens on a Sony A7II camera.

Hirakata Bay
The first thing one encounters after crossing the street in front of the station is Hirakata Bay.

The Seaside Train Line
The second thing one is pleasantly surprised by is the Keikyu Seaside Line crossing over the Hirakata Bay.

Crossing over the bay by bridge I noticed seaweed drying in the sun.

Nojima Campground
Another unexpected surprise! By following the bay coast line I stumbled into this large, well maintained campground.

Nice waterfront walkways.

Barbecue grills! Lots of barbecue grills! Not shown are clean restrooms and food preparation stations; those are here too!.

Next discovery was the Nojima Park Hill. From the park's hill top I had a view of Nissan's "Grandrive" proving ground in Oppama. It's a test track for cars - looks more like a race track.

The pinnacle of the park is the Observatory Tower.

Beautiful unobstructed view from the top of the tower.

Did I mention that it's a beautiful day? It is.

There goes the Seaside line again.

End of the day. I walked back to Kanazawa-Hakkei station area and noticed some dead wood near a small shrine. I see faces in these trees.

Day two: I was so impressed with the Kanazawa-Hakkei area that I decided to return for some continued exploration.

There is no shortage of shrines and temples in Japan.

Umino Park
Across the bay from Nojima park is the beach park Uminokoen.

There's only a small canal and marina separating the two parks.

Umino park is a picnicker's paradise.

Today I practically have this place to myself. I can imagine that it's a different story on the weekend and especially in the summertime.

Meet the beach.

I'm not a big "walk on the beach" kind of guy; lucky for me there is a wide promenade running parallel to the beach.

This place is great! The only downside of this park is the Sea hawks. If one is eating out in the open the Sea hawks will swoop in and try to steal ones food. It can be scary!

There are a lot fishing boats around here.


Working my way back to the Kanazawa-Hakkei station. I am still impressed with the Seaside line.

That's one rail I need to ride.

Day 3: Blue skies turn gray... then black!

Yes, I came back for a 3rd day of exploration. Starting out where I left off the day before this is an example of why this park is so nice; a foot washing station. I'm sure this makes parents happy.

If walking is something one wants to do, or something one needs to do, Umino park is the place to be.

Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise
And, yet another surprise! Umino park leads right to the front door (main gate) of Sea Paradise.

This is the biggest Merry-Go-Round I've ever seen.

Sea Paradise is kids paradise.

Half of the roller-coaster extends out over the sea. Also, the blue sky is starting to turn gray. Uh-oh!

The tall blue pole in the background is the "Blue Fall". It's a 107 meter (351.05 feet) tall free fall ride.

For the brave hearted (or just plain crazy) they haul you up to the top...

...and, then they let you drop like a rock. Damn! People line up and pay to endure what to me looks like a form of torture. And, they are enjoying the heck out of it. I'll pass.

It's getting dark out here. Time to head home.

Hakkeijima Station
This is the closest Seaside Line train station to the Sea Paradise Park and I'm going to get on board.

As the rain starts to fall I'm snug and cozy inside the Seaside line train car and I'm happy, happy, happy.

It's been a fun 3 day adventure. If one is in the area I can highly recommend putting on you're walking shoes and exploring this area.

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment