Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Destination - Uraga!

It's a short trip on the Keikyu train line to the seaside town of Uraga.

FYI: Uraga is a subdivision of the city of Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. It is located on the south eastern side of the Miura Peninsula, at the northern end of the Uraga Channel, at the entrance of Tokyo Bay.


It's the last stop on the Uraga leg of the train line.

The scenery around the Uraga train station is very pleasant; it has a bit of a tropical feel to it.


The main street of the town is lined with bollards. This is representative of the maritime history of the town.

At one time there was a thriving shipyard in the center of the town.

A few buildings remain.

However, most of the structures have been cleared away.

Leaving the shipyard behind I started strolling down the newly built waterfront promenade.

It has taken several years of land-filling to create this waterfront walkway.

We must always be prepared for the worst!

The project is not entirely complete but it has come a long ways and I find the atmosphere here to be quite tranquil.

A local resident waiting for the pedestrian crossing signal to change.

There is a water taxi that will ferry one across the bay for 200 yen. Not a bad price considering how long it would take to walk around the bay to get to the other side.

I remember years ago when the dockside was lined with ocean going fishing boats. Today there are only two dredges tied up here.


I imagine on the weekend there are a lot of fishing enthusiasts around here trying their luck to catch a few fish for their evening meal.

But, this being the middle of the week I seem to have the whole place to myself.

Now on the other side of the bay near the water taxi station I'm in the middle of the residential area checking out the sites.

Sorry to say it but things just ain't what they used to be. I don't know if it's the aging population or decline in the fishing business; there's just not a lot going on around here.


Well, one can always go to the local shrine and say a prayer for the future.

A view from the shrine.

A view of the shrine.

Moving on from the shrine there's more fishing boats.

There's also a large low income housing area. Again I seem to have the whole place to myself.

Wait a minute! I'm not alone!

Prepping his fishing line.

Still feeling some life in my legs I decided to walk over to Kurihama, the next town down the road.

This is not quite the French Riviera, but it'll do for me.

Looks like the boating season is over for this year.

The Yokosuka thermal power station in the background.

It certainly is a beautiful day for fishing.

Sharing some shade while talking about the one that got away.

 I stepped into a Cainz mega store to get out of the blazing sun and to soak up some air-conditioning and  was amazed to find their new low priced line of whisky. I don't know who their marketing/advertising people are but they need to go back to the drawing board and rethink the name of this whisky.

Last shot of the day: One of the Kurihama fishing boats motoring down the channel and heading out to sea.

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment