Thursday, November 25, 2021

Exploring Uraga - Tomyodo Lighthouse!

 As usual I didn't have much of a plan. I was thinking that I'd take the train to Uraga and walk to Kurihama hoping that it would be a nice day. For those that don't know, Uraga is a small port town on Miura peninsula. It's a port town with a lot of history but as a modern day place I don't see much happening here.

Uraga is the last stop on the Kekyu train line. It doesn't take long before one finds themself walking along the pristine waterfront heading toward Kurihama. It is a beautiful day!

Uraga is split in half by a long narrow harbor. One shortcut for pedestrians to cross the bay is a water-taxi. This is the boat landing for the taxi. It's currently on the other side of the harbor. All one needs to do is press a button and the taxi will cross over and pick you up. 

In front of the water-taxi boat landing I noticed this sign. I had never been to the Tomyodo lighthouse. It could be interesting!

1700 meters to the lighthouse, I can handle that easily. Besides, the scenery along the way is quite pleasing.

The condominium on the other side of the bay must have a fantastic view of the ocean. 

The waterfront here is a walkers paradise. 

Getting closer to the lighthouse and I noticed this sign for the Chiyogasaki Gun Battery Site. It's only open on weekends and holidays. This could be something worth checking out on the next holiday.

I'm starting to wonder about this lighthouse. This access road looks a bit suspicious. It looks more like the entrance to a dump site.

It's certainly not very inviting. 

Hey! a small public restroom. It's not fancy but it's clean and has electricity and running water. Very civilized!

I have arrived at the Tomyodo Lighthouse Park! Maybe the access road wasn't very inviting, but...

The park is beautiful!

This place is amazing!

I've lived in Yokosuka most of my life and I can't believe I've never visited this place before. From my house to this park using the train and walking is only about an hour long trip. 

This is like the best kept secret on Miura Peninsula. 

This is the Tomyodo Lighthouse.
Per the internet: Tomyodo is a lighthouse built on a small cape called Tomyozaki at the entrance of Uraga Harbor. It was built in 1648 by order of the shogunate, and for 220 years it watched over the safety of ships coming and going through the harbor, until ceasing operations in 1872. The lighthouse was lit using cloza oil and said to cast a beam for 7.4 kilometers over the sea. Due to powerful winds and rains over its long history, however, it eventually collapsed, leaving only a stonewall behind. Thereafter, in 1988, the façade of the lighthouse was recreated on the remaining stonewall. Even now, many ships coming and going can be viewed from Tomyodo. 

I can't believe that I'm the only person here.

I spoke too soon, I'm not alone.

I would say that this is a beautiful place for a picnic except that as soon as you bring out the food the Seahawks will invite themselves to your little picnic and start swooping in to steal your food right out of your hand. The Seahawks are not shy.

The beach is beautiful. The water is crystal clear.

I continue to explore the area.

It's amazing. It's free. I can't believe it! 

What a place to bring a loved one. Yes, I'm talking "Cheap Date".

It's so clean here. 


Walking back toward the Lighthouse parking lot. By-the-way, there is pay parking right in front of the Lighthouse park entrance for those that want to drive here. The road on the left side of the picture dead-ends right behind me. There is room for a car to turn around.

Walking back to the train station. The water-taxi is now on this side of the harbor.

Back at Uraga train station.

And, my train has just arrived! Time to go home.

Almost home and some of the neighborhood cats have come out to greet me. If one can call this a greeting.


Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

Bonus shots!























No comments:

Post a Comment