Friday, January 6, 2023

Jogashima Island in Monochrome

 I thought I'd try something different.

I made my first trip of the new year to Jogashima island and when I arrived and set up for my first picture I suddenly thought that it might look better in black and white. So, I switched my camera to monochrome and took the shot.

My next shot and I immediately contradicted myself.  The ocean just looked to dark next to the white sandy beach in B&W. So, color it is, but no more after this.

Jogashima island is a popular destination for fishermen.

In the past I tried to shoot around them. Today I decided to make them a part of the picture. 

Big rocks in the water. All the local fishing boats stay clear of this area.

On the hill overlooking the ocean is (on the leftside) is the old Keikyu Hotel. It was closed several years ago and now they have just begun the demolition of it. 

This side of Jogashima island consists of ancient lava-flow. 

Walking by this small inlet. Sometimes tourist boats come in here.

The old Jogashima lighthouse up on the hill. It's no longer an active lighthouse. 

I thought the reflection of the lighthouse in the water would make a nice picture; maybe not.

Looking out at the Pacific ocean. I really do enjoy visiting Jogashima island. The views like this are what keep me coming back here.

Walking around the rocky lava coast while carrying a tripod and camera equipment is actually very difficult. 

However, it is worth the effort.

There are fishermen everywhere. 

I have never seen any of them catch a fish.

Maybe they just come here to get out of the house.

The guy on the left is throwing chum into the water. 

Now the two of them are in sync.

One big wave and I think some of these guys would be washed away.

The ocean is pretty calm today, but...

It only takes one rogue wave and out to sea you go!

He doesn't seem to be worried about it. 

No big deal to him, just put some bait on the hook and go back to fishing.

Anywhere there is even the smallest flat spot on the rocks and there'll be a fisherman there.

I'll take one last look around and then start working my way back; I need to catch a bus to get off the island.

It takes awhile to navigate my way around the jagged lava. 

When I walk around the lava I wear work gloves on my hands. In case I fall down the gloves will protect my hands. 

Almost out of the lava field.

And, I'm back at the bus stop just in time to catch the bus!

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

Bonus shots!





















No comments:

Post a Comment